Tuesday, April 25, 2006

London Calling...


I returned from London on Saturday, having completed most of my bag and completed nil moustaches.

I also showed great restraint and didn't go to any yarn shops (but only because I couldn't remember where Loop in Islington was).

My sister Jane, as always, was highly amused by my knitting exploits; watching me working halfway through one side of my bag, she said "What's that? A vegan merkin?" She also decided that she didn't want a lacy shrug so I don't have to compromise my vegan principles by buying any Rowan kidsilk haze.

My friend Amanda loved her corsage and pinned it on her turquoise cardi immediately. Her husband Paul said "Where's my jumper?" - poor man has been waiting 5 years for me to knit him one.

The opinion from everyone around the table at the Tate Modern restaurant was that I should sell corsages on ebay; quite a good idea actually as at least they're quick to produce.

I also nicked Jane's Brora cashmere catalogue to get some ideas; they're charging 20 quid for corsages I note. And my friend Gina paid £40 for one 2 years ago...

We went to see the Modernism exhibition at the V&A, which was a massive disappointment; a very muddled and complicated exhibition. The last 2 rooms were better but by then we'd ran out of time to look at everything properly. Plus the shop was shut; it was torture having to walk through and not being able to buy anything! I want some William Morris print wellies, dammit.

One of my favourite items was a knitted swimming costume by Sonia Delaunay; the caption said it was practical but I reckon it would get very stretched when wet.

The Josef Albers and Lazlo Moholy-Nagy show at Tate Modern was superb, however - I'm fizzing with ideas for an abstract knitted wall hanging / rug.

No comments: