Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lots of time to knit


I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 17 September, after almost a month of tests and tentative diagnosis.

After initially thinking "I'm going to di-i-i-e-e!" I have tried to keep a positive outlook and as I am on paid sick leave for 6 months, at least I have lots of time to knit and work my way through my stash.

I may even get round to sewing up my projects which have been languishing in my bedroom for over a year.

I have been almost overwhelmed by the support of friends and colleagues and have decided to do as many enjoyable things as I can manage.

So far I have had one chemotherapy treatment - they are every 3 weeks for 6 months - and it was quite pleasurable in a weird way.

I have been told that my hair will fall out so have made a few woolly hats for myself and am getting a free wig tommorrow. So far my follicles are hanging on, which is disappointing in the extreme after Jan from the Bolton Knitting Noras presented me with an array of fantastic hats and a gorgeous crochet shawl on Sunday at our Bliss charity knit out.

I can't wait to wear them!

I have also completed a premature baby blanket and will try and get another one finished by Sunday when we are all meeting up for our monthly knit out at Costa Coffee.

8 comments:

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

You hang on to your hair Sarah just to be different. Always the rebel!
You can still wear all of your hats (and the wig) on top of your own hair for a change of image.
Put your feet up, deal with whatever side effects the chemo could bring, and keep on knitting.
Thank goodness you are hanging on to your sense of humour. See you on Sunday
Love Jan

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just to give you my best wishes and say how much I enjoy reading your blog. Keep positive and keep knitting and take care.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just a quick note so ask how you are doing and send good wishes.

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just wanted to say that I hope that your treatment is going well and send you best wishes for Christmas and for 2009.
Take care.

Jehanine said...

As always your knitting is beautiful. Love you lots xxx

Jacqueline said...

Hello, just wanted to wish you the best and to tell you to keep knitting because you have come up with beautiful pieces.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hello,

Nice to see a Vegan Knitter. I'm a Vegan form India. I would like to know if those yarn- labelled as "acrylic" - is it Vegan? The shopkeeper told me that it is mixed with wool and other Threads. I'm not sure of his knowledge.Can you help?
Also do you any places in India, where I could get these fake wool? or any relevant website?